NCPMA Provides Tips for Keeping the Holidays Bright and Pest-Free
‘Tis the season!
Halloween and Thanksgiving have come and gone. Now families statewide are focusing on the holidays. Holiday shopping is in full swing, cookies and treats are everywhere and families are trekking out to get their Christmas trees.
Those Christmas trees, natural garlands and firewood make for a festive scene but can also bring pests inside your home.
So, how do you deck the halls without bringing pests inside your home?
Follow these steps to help prevent or get rid of insects in your holiday décor.
- Inspect: Look closely at any trees, garland or firewood that you’re bringing into your home to identify any potential pests.
- Shake It Out: Before bringing any natural decorations such as trees or garland into your home, shake them outside of your house to get rid of any lingering bugs or loose materials.
- Vacuum: Use a vacuum to get rid of any pests you may see in or around the tree or garland. Make sure to dispose of the vacuum bag or clean out the canister when you’re finished.
- Don’t Spray! Never spray a Christmas tree, garland or firewood with an over-the-counter pesticide. It can be dangerous to your health and can also be flammable.
- Call a professional: If you’ve tried all of the tips above and are still experiencing issues, contact one of our member companies. They’ll check your home for any potential infestations that may be unrelated to the decorations.